After-Care Instructions for Tooth Fillings
After receiving a metal amalgam (silver) or composite resin (tooth-colored) dental filling, follow these instructions for optimal treatment results:
- Do not bite together hard or eat on fresh amalgam fillings for two to three hours. Composite fillings harden right away.
- Children should be observed until any anesthetic wears off. Due to the numbness caused by the anesthetic, many children will accidentally chew the inside of their lips, cheeks, or tongue which can cause damage.
- Sensitivity, especially to cold, is common for a few days following a dental restoration. Usually, the deeper the cavity, the greater the sensitivity. Sensitivity is usually most noticeable the first 12 to 24 hours after the anesthetic wears away.
- The gum tissue around the tooth and the injection site may be sore for a few days.
- The new restoration may be contoured slightly differently and have a different texture than the original tooth. Your tongue usually magnifies this small difference, but you will become accustomed to this difference in a few days.
For more information, schedule a consultation by calling Contemporary Dental in Bellaire, TX, today at 713-668-9119. We proudly welcome patients who live in Bellaire, Houston, West University/Southside Place, Southwest Houston, the Galleria area, and all surrounding communities.