Information About Endodontic (Root Canal) Treatment
If you require endodontic, or root canal treatment, then be sure to keep the following in mind before, during, and after your treatment:
- Endodontic treatment can take 1 to 3 appointments, depending on each case. It is possible to experience sensitivity to hot, cold, pressure, and possibly swelling after any of these appointments.
- During endodontic treatment, the nerve, blood and nutrient supply to the tooth is removed. This will cause the tooth to become brittle and prone to fracturing which can result in the need to extract the tooth. In most cases, a full coverage crown may be recommended to prevent this from happening.
- If is difficult to predict which symptoms, if any, you may experience and to what extent. In complicated cases, pain medication may be necessary. Over the counter pain relievers can be used for discomfort.
- If you experience swelling, call our office. It may be necessary to prescribe an antibiotic for you.
- Be gentle on the tooth while eating until the final restoration is placed.
- A temporary filling may be used to seal the tooth between visits.
For more information on what to expect from root canal treatment, schedule a consultation by calling Contemporary Dental in Bellaire, TX, today at 713-668-9119. We proudly welcome patients who live in Bellaire, Houston, West University/Southside Place, Southwest Houston, the Galleria area, and all surrounding communities.