Home care instructions following periodontal treatment (gum treatment)
- You can take over the counter pain medication for any discomfort you may have.
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water today to help remove the bacteria that is present.
- Avoid eating crunchy, spicy or hot foods today, such as taco chips, carrots or crispy fried chicken.
- Rinse with warm salt water if your gums are sore and tender (use 1 tsp. salt in 1 cup of warm water).
- Brush gently today, even if your gums are tender, to help remove plaque that has started to reform. Always use a gentle, fluoridated tartar control toothpaste.
- If you are experiencing sensitivity, you may discontinue the use of home care aids (i.e.: floss), for today only. Tomorrow, resume flossing at least once each day.
- Follow all of our home care instructions exactly as directed. The success of your treatment depends directly on the improvement of your oral hygiene.